|A Mentor during a YO workshop at Maanzoni Lodge|
- An interest in mentoring as a volunteer: - The best mentors choose to help and derive personal satisfaction from the mentoring relationship;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills: - they should be good listeners, enthusiastic, and encouraging;
- The ability to coach and facilitate learning processes.
- Willingness to be included in the young ophthalmologists networking;
- Ability to enhance leadership and management skills of young ophthalmologists while guiding them.
Interaction between the mentor and mentee
- Physical meetings- At least once in 4 months
- Frequent virtual communication-via email, Skype, phone calls etc
Setting for interaction between mentor and mentee
- Clinical setting: at the mentee’s work station for supervision or at the mentor’s station
- for observership
- Informal setting e.g. over coffee
- Partnering in research
- Joint outreach activities
- E-meetings- via email, Skype etc.